Saturday, September 10, 2011

Take a Snapshot

Picture by Rob Owen-Wahl
Photo's have become our windows into the past. We take tons any chance we get. But it's not always the moments that matter, the little everyday moments, that get captured. It's usually the big trips, the family holidays, the exciting excursions.

I love taking a picture of something I enjoy from time to time. It could be a particularly nice set of rolls I baked, or a walk we took to the beach, or a picture of my hubby in the kitchen. These everyday pictures are put together and serve as a slide show of how much our lives are changing over the years. I get to see the different hairstyles, the changes in decor, the different people who surround ourselves with.
On a random day, just take the camera and look around your house for something to take a picture of. Take ONE picture. Don't take a ton because it defeats the purpose of trying to make the picture something significant. 
Also, we take too many photographs of the same things anyways, so try to look for something different and interesting. A corner of your house you don't often pay attention to. Someone in your family doing something very mundane like washing dishes.

These pictures can also make a great selection to show your children and grandchildren someday, to show them how life was in 2011. What kind of gadgets did people use? How did they dress? That sort of thing. Just like looking back at snapshots of our parents can give us a glimpse of what life was like when they were young.
I still have pictures of my mother ironing, and doing dishes in the kitchen. I have pictures that show the house we used to live in, and the garden outside. I have pictures of old friends that I may not talk to anymore, but still cherish very fond memories of.

Do you use your camera outside of holidays and special events? How do you use your pictures?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...