Saturday, April 30, 2011

10 Slow Breaths

I would recommend some kind of meditation to anyone and everyone, but I myself, NEVER meditate. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys sitting still for a long time not thinking about anything. I can't even turn of my mind while I'm in the middle of cooking or cleaning. I keep on an audio-book at those times, and enjoy the activities that much more as a result.
I do, however, take time to breathe and count in my head when I feel things are getting too rushed for my taste.
acobox.com
No need to go anywhere quiet for this exercise, you can do it anywhere, anytime. (I do suggest that in case you're in a car and feel the need or desire to close your eyes, you pull over first!)
Inhale deeply. See how your shoulders moved up? Don't do that! With the next inhalation, send your breath to your stomach. This way the air gets to the bottom of your longs, opening the little air sacs that don't get reached often. It's a great way to increase your lung capacity, thus sending more oxygen (=energy) to your muscles and brain.
Breathe in and out ten times. S  L  O  W  L  Y  ! With every breath, let go of tension. Your body should become softer, more flexible. Feel how the air enters your body, and leaves again. This should relax you to some degree pretty much instantly. Focusing on something different will have that effect.
If it doesn't help at all ... consider adding regular cocktails to your schedule!
There's more on breathing in this legendary Zenhabits post.
I use this exercise to re-focus, something I will talk about in a later post!


Have you tried it? Did it work?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...