Sunday, April 17, 2011

Write a Haiku in 3 Minutes

Remember when your teacher declared that there's a poet inside of everyone, even you? You learned to write limericks and free verse. You wrote love verses to your secret crush and 'Best Mom Ever' poems for Mothers' Day. If you're like me, then you still occasionally write a couplet, but I think most of you probably don't.

Well, how about giving it a go again? Just a quickie. A real fast and easy one. A Haiku!
The only thing you have to be able to do, is count syllables. (For those of you who've forgotten what syllables are and how to count them, you can check the amount per word in most dictionaries. I use Webster when in doubt).
A Haiku has three lines.
Line 1: 5 syllables
Line 2: 7 syllables
Line 3: 5 syllables

You'll need pen and paper, or a computer (how convenient!) and an image of a moment in nature that you find interesting or appealing. Start describing that moment and count the syllables on your fingers while you talk. Make it short and snappy. If you've got too many syllables, put them in the next line, or replace some of the words. 
Usually, the topic deals with nature, but who am I to tell you what to do. I've made birthday-haiku's and haiku's about books. 
Write your haiku on a piece of paper and stick on on the fridge. Better yet, put it in your spouse's lunchbox, or send it as a message to your mother and brighten her day! You'll be rewarded with hours of gratitude!

As a practiced haiku writer (all those classes I taught on how to write them served as good exercises), this example only took me 103 seconds:

Bright pink fades into
Pristine white and scented leaves

Magnolia in Spring





I'd love to hear what you come up with. Please share in the comments below!


(Photo by Yana Ray, courtesy of www.publicdomainpictures.net)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How sad is it that I have to resort to posting my own comments?

I'm begging you!

Either way, another Haiku by yours truly:

Blowing the sand 'round
restless and agitated
Sweeping the slate clean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...