Friday, April 22, 2011

Practice Gratitude

Last night, my grandfather passed, much sooner than anyone had expected. A couple of months turned into a couple of weeks. Pa was a real paterfamilias. He had 14 children, 45 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
I heard that he passed away in his sleep, surrounded by those who were most dear to him. Where last night I let my tears flow naturally, today I try to recover by feeling grateful.

My grandfather was an amazing man, and I can't believe I've had the pleasure of knowing him for such a big part of my life. I feel grateful for all the advice he's given me. For the time he joked that my knitting (a decorative pattern with lots of holes) would not be rainproof. For the story of his life which told us so much about his childhood. For every time he joyfully burst into song, usually cheeky songs from his childhood. I feel that over time, I've had the opportunity to really get to know the man behind our family.

I also feel grateful for how he passed. He was only really sick for a couple of weeks. He was surrounded by love, and this love has brought the whole family together, caring for my grandmother and for each other. I feel fortunate and blessed to be a part of it.

When something in life gets you down. When you lose a loved one, or come across a big disappointment, remember to feel grateful for all the good that has come into your life. In the end, I'd rather grief now over losing someone I loved, than not having known my grandfather at all.


Pa & Moeke
'Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all (Alfred Lord Tennyson)

2 comments:

Elise said...

He was a great man our grandfather, he gave me so much wisdom... I felt loved every time a was near him and I have a lot of good memories to take with me.

Ach m'n meisje, lieve meisje kom hier, het laatste wat hij tegen me zei...

Dikke zoen lieve zus, ook in China zijn mijn gedachten bij jou!

Unknown said...

Dankjewel zusje, we zullen op reis nog veel tijd hebben om herinneringen uit te wisselen en hem meedragen in onze gedachten tot in Tibet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...