Saturday, April 16, 2011

Play Dead - Corpse Pose

I'm a fervent yoga-practitioner. By 'fervent' I mean I get up to do it every morning around 5:30, before I start my day (unless a late night before compels me to sleep in).
That's usually where the yoga stops, except for one pose: corpse pose.
I can use this one throughout the day, instead of a nap or to help me get to sleep faster. It goes like this:

Picture by Ali Farid
Lie down on a flat, somewhat soft surface. No pillow needed. The key is to have a surface that's comfortable but doesn't sag too much. Some couches work, some beds do too. Here in China, the mattresses are super hard, so great for this exercise.
Now, let your hands lie down on either side of you, a little away from your body. Palms facing up. Let your feet fall open, a little apart. Move your shoulders down a bit (helps support your neck).
Then, try to consciously relax every part of your body. Go over your feet, up to your waist, hands, shoulders, neck, even mouth and eyes. Imagine everything going soft.
The key is to let go. Let go of thoughts that are popping up. I usually imagine them as balloons filled with helium: I see them for a brief moment and then they float away.
This is a great tension-releasing exercise that only takes a couple of minutes. It does wonders for your mental and physical health, and re-energizes and refocuses your mind.

Here you can order the instructions for corpse pose in case you prefer listening to it a couple of times. It can really help you get used to the feeling. After a while, you'll be able to relax almost instantly and reap the benefits even faster!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...