Monday, May 9, 2011

10 Reasons Why YOU Should Write a Grocery List

If you don't yet write a grocery list yet, let me tell you why you should. It really only takes 5 minutes! I suggest you keep a notepad lying around or on the fridge, so you can add something to it every time you finish the previous jar/box/tin.
So why is it SO important to make a list before you go shopping?
Picture from acobox.com
  1. You save time: no wondering around aimlessly trying to remember what you need for which dish. Just follow the list.

  2. You save money: unwanted things don't add up in your cart unnoticed. You already know what you need and can stick to it, thus avoiding extra costs.

  3. Healthier choices: when you're writing the list at home, you're not facing those tempting cup cakes or carb-bomb pretzels. You've already picked what you need.

  4. More environmental: you are less likely to forget something and have to drive back to the store. Thus saving gas and creating less exhaust.

  5. Everyone gets a say: you can write a grocery list as a family, making everyone feel like they can contribute to the decision making process (e.g. ask the kids what fruit they would like. They're more likely to eat it if they're allowed to chose.)

  6. It's fun: you get to check off items as you fill your cart, and can feel a sense of accomplishment. Much like a To-Do list.

  7. Trying new recipes: you can pick up ingredients for recipes you found in a book or on-line. Preparing the list at home will let you check to make sure you got everything. Otherwise you'll fall back on the trusted dishes you already know how to prepare.

  8. Less food going to waste: before you leave for the shop, you can check the fridge to see how much food is left. Do you have a ton of left-overs that you could use to put a meal together? Don't buy more than you need!

  9. Peace of mind: You'll feel at ease knowing that you already did the preparation work at home. Now, all you need to do is walk through the store putting stuff in the cart. It's a piece of cake!

  10. Delegating: if you have a list, you don't really need to go to the store yourself. You could bribe your spouse or idle teenager to do the job for you. Tell them they can add their favorite snack to the list as a reward.
I usually write the list, my husband usually picks up the groceries. We found that we spend a lot less and get a lot more fresh fruit and vegetables. Sure, we still pick up a pack of cookies from time to time, but not nearly as much as we did before.

For more grocery list related fun, check out grocerylists.org!

Are you used to writing a list? Do you manage to stick to it? Tell me, tell me, tell me! :-)

3 comments:

Ann said...

I totally agree with writing a shopping list for all the reasons you listed, but I go a step further.
I shop once a week, so I meal plan for the whole week as well. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for my family.
I leave the meal plan and the shopping list on the fridge, so I can always refer/add to both.
Anything to make life easier :-)

Unknown said...

Great idea Ann! My hubby and I really need to sit down and do that. It's a great way to guarantee a better diet too since you have an overview of your daily consumption.

Thanks for sharing!

Angeliki said...

I can't go to the supermarket without a grocery list. It's essential. Otherwise, I would spend hours and hours gazing and picking donuts and cookies :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...