Thursday, May 5, 2011

Make a Decision!

Cartoon by Frits Ahlefeldt
Some people are more decisive than others, that's just the way we were born, but all of us are prone to over-thinking at least some of our decisions. For most important decisions you SHOULD take your time to think them over. You don't decide who to marry right after you meet them, and I advise no one to buy a house without thinking it over at least three times.

However ... there's deciding and there's postponing a decision. Sometimes, we go back and forth between two (or more) possible options and just can't make up our mind. This contemplating, deliberating and ruminating is a black hole that keeps sucking in more and more time. And in the end, you'll end up making the same decision anyways, so what's the point? Really? This is especially true for those of you who have to think 10 minutes before they can decide on what to order.
Making a decision can involve different steps. You could make 'pro & con' lists, ask for advice, or imagine the possible outcome of the decision you want to make. Whatever you're preferred method is, do it now!
The biggest part of making a decision, is not the decision itself, but the 'sticking with it'. If you decide to buy that particular car, but change your mind again right after, you haven't really decided at all, have you? So don't go telling me "I decided but then I changed my mind", that just won't cut it!
So save yourself some stress and time, and decide - NOW! - on which decision you want to make. One you've been going back and forth on for a while. Make the decision. NOW! The choice that offers the  Then ACT on that decision. NOW! After you act on it, you'll be able to get on with the next steps in the process. 
I often apply this to myself when planning lessons (which topic?), going out to eat (what should I order?) and what to do for fun (watch a movie? read? cross stitch?). But we've used it for big decision too, like moving to China (let's go for it!) and having children (yes, we will, someday).
For more in-depth information on being decisive, check out the following post at one of my favorite blogs.

What decisions have you been postponing? What's holding you back from deciding?

2 comments:

Angeliki said...

That post is spot on! Being more decisive it's something I'm working on and I think I have made some progress. I could spend 30 minutes to decide which birthday card to buy or spend up to an hour in a shop to just buy a top. And you're right. I used to buy the one I wanted in the first place anyway so I was just wasting my time! I've watched this TED talk http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html on how we are less free now because we have so many choices we can't decide anything. I found it very interesting.

Unknown said...

I've seen the Talk before, it's really great! It just goes to show that more choices doesn't mean more freedom of choice at all. It's paralyzing to have to decide so much in one day!

Thanks for sharing the video with my readers though. I hope they'll take some time to check it out! (hint hint)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...