Friday, May 6, 2011

Follow Your Own Advice

I've had this Blog for about a month, posting (what I consider) great advice every single day. Now, it's time for me to take a closer look at what this advice has accomplished for me. In case of my grandfathers' death (both my grandfather's recently passed away, on April 21st and May 1st), the gratitude and memories posts were ones I've reread a few times. They've been really helpful.
I bet there's some great advice that you have, and that you might be able to follow. It circumvents that awkward situation where someone gives you (usually un-asked-for) advice and you have to try it out because you don't have any better ideas. Then you have to admit that they were right, and you weren't; it's just so annoying. So follow these steps to avoid it altogether.
Picture by Anna H-G
Step 1: Imagine that the situation you require advice for is really your friend's/sister's/cousin's/colleague's predicament. They're the one with the problem, not you. Listen to them tell you the problem (in your imagination naturally. Don't do this out loud since people will consider you crazy. TRUST ME on this!). Now give them the best advice you can think of. Be honest! 
Step 2: Think of how this advice would affect your situation. And if you have to agree it's the best way to go, then follow it.
Following your own advice will guarantee that it will follow your own standards and principles. Your best advice is usually the advice you give to someone you care about. It's more objective than looking at your own situation (naturally) so it has your best intentions and your best common sense.

What kind of advice would you give yourself? Any changes you need to make in your life? They can be big or small.
I tell myself to make a dentist appointment!

.   .   .

There! Done! Yay!

4 comments:

Elise said...

gewassen en gestreken.... ontspanning! juij DONE

Unknown said...

Yay, little changes make a big difference! Goed gedaan zusje, nu ik nog ;-)

Angeliki said...

I love this post, I think I will print it and post it on the wall in front of my desk :) So, simple and powerful.

By the way, I really need to book an appointment with my dentist, I already convinced my sister and my best friend to do it now it's my turn to follow my advice.

Have a great weekend x

Unknown said...

Thanks! Yeah, dentists are the one demographic I avoid!

Thanks for commenting! Have a great weekend too :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...