Thursday, July 21, 2011

MWH Travel Tips: 7 - Split Your Cash

Picture by Christian Newton
Traveling can be a risky endeavor when you need to carry large amounts of cash, and you often do. When traveling to remote locations that don't have any big banks, you need to carry your capital on you to be safe. So how do you prevent pick pockets from stealing?

There's lots of small things you can do, like keep your money on your body, or hold on tight to your purse. But the best thing you can do is make sure you're okay EVEN if they do get you.
I suggest splitting your money into smaller portions, and keeping it in different spots. Keep a bit in your bag, a bit in your pockets, divide it over the different members of your traveling party.
How much should be in one spot? It depends, on how much you think is okay to lose at once, and how much money you have to keep on you. 
The safest spot to keep money is probably on your body. I put some cash in almost every pocket I have (if I have any). It'll take a lot for me not to notice someone going through ALL my pockets. 
I've found hotel rooms to be quite safe as well, and things like in between your clothes in your backpack. Put it in an inconspicuous spot.
Have you ever lost money to a pickpocket before? How did it happen? I've been fortunate so far. I have however lost large amounts of money because it fell out of my pocket while I was trying on clothes at a shop. Let that be another warning!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...