Friday, July 1, 2011

Take the Stairs

(source)
I remember when a certain friend's ex-boyfriend told me that the best way to achieve a nice bum, was to walk up the stairs taking two steps at a time. I don't think I'll ever quite forget that.
Taking the stairs is now almost an act of nostalgia. Taken a look at a hospital stairwell lately? It's probably the quietest place you can find.
But stairs have value! Today I'm preaching the return to walking stairs instead of taking the elevator.
Taking the stairs doesn't take you as long as you think. I only have to walk up to the 6th floor, but still find myself taking the elevator more often than not. There's always an excuse: "I have too much stuff", "I'm tired", "it's too hot", "it's too cold", and so on. Today, however, I'm re-committing myself to taking the stairs. And here's why:
  1.  Exercise. It's always great to get a couple of minutes extra exercise in. If you haven't walked up any stairs lately, you'll feel this one instantly!
  2. Avoid smells. I know you're thinking body odor now, but our elevator has contained a whole range of smells that I got me holding my breath!
  3. No aimless waiting around. I've waited around for longer than it takes me to walk up to our floor. Multiple times! What a waste!
  4. Environment. You're not using any energy except your own when you walk up the stairs. Totally green!
  5. Less risky. Just imagine the elevator getting stuck. It's happened before. We've all seen the movies/tv shows. Now, does it still seem like taking the elevator saves you time? Right! I didn't think so!
So what about you? Are you a stair-walker or an elevator-rider? Or do you try to live your life on the ground floor at all times due to a paralyzing fear of heights?

P.S. It is now possible to rate posts below! Feel free to 5-star me, or shatter my heart. Whichever you choose. Really! No pressure!

2 comments:

elise Berben said...

Hi
I don't have an elevator, so i have to take the stairs every day, several times a day. Tot the 4th floor, 68 steps if you count.
Believe, not funny when you just went tot the shops, but it's an excercise and it gets more easy every day. So keep up the good work sis. In 5 days we can take them together.

Unknown said...

I remember those stairs! Good exercise indeed :-)

Can't wait to take them together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...