Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Have a Mini-Concert

Classical music is not something everyone enjoys, but many of us do. Strangely enough, even if we enjoy it, we don't always listen to it. The same goes for jazz. I, for one, love jazz, but I rarely put it on. Why is that?
For me, classical music and jazz are so much better live than on a recording. But when do I have the opportunity to hear either? Not very often.
So, I have no choice but to settle for the recording.
Choose a piece of classical music (or any kind of music, for that matter) that you find inspiring. Find a place where you can relax and be undisturbed for the time it takes you to listen to this composition. You may want to be alone, or you could share the mini-concert with your friends and family. 

Lean/sit back and focus on the tones. Let your mind follow the beats and tones of the music. Give it your full, undivided attention, just as you would if you were sitting in a concert hall looking at the orchestra.
Imagine the music is literally going through you and carrying you. I find this is such a powerful image that it can make me laugh or cry depending on the melody and rhythm.


I've included below a video of one of my favorite pieces of all time: The Adagio of the Concierto De Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo.

I do urge you to not let yourself get distracted by what you see, but to focus on what you hear. Our eyes are busy enough during the day. They deserve a break!

What's your favorite piece of music? Do you enjoy listening to classical music or prefer popular music?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...