Thursday, July 28, 2011

Save Electricity by Adaptation

Chinese kids cooling down - Chengdu 2011
I got back from my trip through China last night, and as I arrived in Yantai the heat and humidity got to me pretty much instantly. This city isn't so bad in summer (compared to cities like Beijing and Shanghai), but I'm still only a Belgian girl, so not used to higher temperatures for extended periods of time.

So, as you can probably guess, the air conditioning system is my personal savior at this time. It's not something I am proud of, however. A/C and other cooling systems take up a lot of energy. And all of that just so that I can live at my maximum comfort level? Do I really need it? I've found that if I give my body time, it will adjust to higher or lower temperatures just fine. Therefore, I've started limiting the time I use air conditioning, and how high I put it, so that slowly, over time, I get used to the warmth.
When I visited Los Angeles in 2007 (for the second time) it was the middle of July. It was scorching hot, most of the days. The concrete streets and buildings did nothing to absorb the sun, it only got worse. But it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was too COLD most of the time. Why? I spent most of my time indoors, in buildings that are kept at a cool 65°F (18°C). Sure, it's nice and cool when you come in, but coming from 100°, a balmy 80° would've sufficed just as well.

So when you get too hot (or too cold in winter) try to adjust the thermostat a couple of degrees in whatever direction that will save energy (and your money). Alternatively, set a timer so that the system is running long enough to cool things down for a bit, but not running while you're out and don't need it.
I hope you all have the luxury of feeling too hot at some time this summer. Enjoy it while it lasts, and remember it's only a couple of months before you'll be wishing you could feel this way again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...