Friday, July 15, 2011

MWH Travel Tips: 3 - Impression Diary

Keeping a travel journal can be quite a bit of work. Writing down a full overview of the day each night is not something I associate with taking a break. Writing is my work, although I love it (and couldn't NOT do it), I don't like to feel obligated. So I keep a small notebook with me, to jot down impressions whenever I feel like it.
My travel notebook.
I suggest you buy a notebook that you like, or find one that you already have but stopped using (if you're like me, there are about 20 of these around in your house somewhere).
Keep it in your daily backpack, with a pen/pencil close by or attached to it. 
Whenever you see something remarkable, or get a sudden moment of inspiration, write down a little note to remind yourself of it. What do you see? Why is it so remarkable? How does it make you feel? It only takes a couple of minutes to jot down the essentials.

You can use these notes to write journal posts later, making it easier to know what to write about, or to add to your photo-album later as anecdotes and explanatory comments. 
You may find that the optional nature of these notes makes you far more likely to write them down. And if you don't, there's no need to feel guilty, since they were optional to begin with!
Do you keep a travel journal? Do you blog while you're on the road? Why or why not?
I find that having a computer with me just leaves me out of touch with being out of touch.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...