Monday, July 11, 2011

Make a Promise ... and Keep It!

I am often tempted to go back on my plans. I'll plan to go out with a friend, but when push comes to shove, I think how great it would be to stay at home and just relax, not have to go outside, not have to dress properly, no expectations. It's so bad that I actually feel somewhat relieved when plans fall through, as if I was dreading something that's supposed to be fun. Used to drive my friends crazy!

It's not because I don't like going out. When I do go out, I have a great time, and I'm so happy I went. Maybe it's because I'm rather introvert and usually thrive when I'm alone with my Kindle or a blank notebook.
Either way, it just won't do! I'm missing out on not just stuff, but the stuff of life: Meeting other people in the real world, experiencing new things, enjoying the moment. I need those experiences not only to be happy, but to be a good writer too.

My solution? An elegant one: Promise to go.
Picture by Ditatompel
Making promises has fallen into disfavor. These days, we avoid them at all costs, because they make us accountable for circumstance, right? I mean, sure, I want to go out, but I just really have to work tonight, it's not my fault! 
Yes, it is.

A promise is unbreakable. It should not be used lightly, that's true, but it should be used from time to time. A true promise creates a bond of expectation between two people. It raises the stakes of the relationship. At this time of cynicism and individualism, that's something we've nearly lost. When a promise is kept, it enhances feelings of trust and connection between two people, when it's not kept, it decreases the degree of trust. 
Is that a risk you're willing to take? For me it is, because the pay-off can be great, and whether or not the pay-off happens, is up to me. If I really want to, I can keep every promise I make (because I AM careful to make ones I know I can keep). 

Raise the stakes on your relationships from time to time. They're worth it! It's the perfect antidote for the modern day complacency. Don't worry, you can always start small. "I promise to do the dishes if you cook" is popular in our house.
Do you usually keep promises? What kind of promises do you make?
I'll be the first to admit I don't keep every promise I make, but I keep most, which gives me some credit in case I break one from time to time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...