Monday, August 15, 2011

Healthy Summer Snacks: Shakes

(source)
Summer and winter for me are both risky times when it comes to snacking. In winter, I always crave cookies and chocolate, in summer, I can't stay away from ice-cream and fruit pies. But there are so many better options available that offer our body much more nutrition and a lot less poison.

One of the ways I try to stay away from ice-cream is by eating fruit instead. But sometimes, that just doesn't cut it and I want something a bit more special. On those occasions, I get out the blender and make myself a quick shake.
I've based my shakes on either dairy or on juice. Some fruits mix better with milk or yogurt, others go really well with orange juice.
Some quick combinations for you to try out:

  1. Mix some banana, yogurt (or kefir) and cocoa powder in the blender. This is similar to a desert my mother used to make that was a combination of melted chocolate and yogurt left in the fridge. This one is much faster though, and you get some extra nutrients from the banana
  2. Mix any berries with apple juice. I love forest fruits in a juice, or in a blend. The tangy taste is just perfect for those hot summer days. To make it easy on yourself (and avoid a trip to the woods) frozen berries work just fine and add that bit of cold chill many people like.
  3. Blend some mango with orange juice. Mango is one of my favorite fruits, and it's unbelievably good for you! To spice up this shake, add a bit of cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg to the mix.
Enjoy your summer full of healthy snacks, and don't forget to indulge in that bit of ice-cream every now and then anyways. You deserve it!

What kind of shakes do you make?
If you enjoyed reading this post, feel free to vote on it below.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...