Friday, August 26, 2011

Leave a Little Early

Running late
No one likes the stress of rushing to work. I hate it when I arrive late, or when I have no more than a couple of minutes to spare before I need to start teaching. Ideally, I arrive about 5 - 10 minutes early so I can fill in my papers and take a look at my lesson plans.
Not everyone has the same discipline though, and we don't have it all of the time. It helps however if you make leaving early part of your habit. And there is no better time to start than in the beginning of the new school year (or after any long holiday).
First of all, decide how long it takes you to travel to work. What's the longest time you have ever taken to get there? How long does it usually take?
Secondly, figure out what your 'leaving time' actually means. If you say you will leave at 7:30, does this mean that's the time you're out the door, or the time you start packing your things together? Those or not quite the same, it's about a 5 minute difference.
Add your preparation time and your traveling time. Then add however much extra time you would like to have to sip a cup of coffee or catch up with colleagues before you start your work day.
You then have the exact time you should start getting ready, and the time you need to be out of the house.
Having an extra couple of minutes means that there's a bit of flexibility. If you forget your phone and need to run back, it's not a big problem.

Do you usually like to arrive early, or are you someone who often runs late? What do you prefer?

2 comments:

Angeliki said...

Spot on! I'm always fashionably late.

Unknown said...

Haha, I have a friend who always calls it that ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...