Monday, August 8, 2011

Two-in-One: Combine Experiences

You know how much fun it is to do something you truly enjoy? Now how about doing two things you really enjoy at the same time? Double the fun, right?

There are lots of different treats that lend themselves to possible combinations. I got the idea for doing this while I was eating a piece of chocolate cake and thoroughly enjoying it. And then, all of a sudden, I got a whiff of coffee. The smell of the coffee together with the taste of the chocolate was just divine. I didn't have to drink a sip, and then eat a bite, I could enjoy both at the same time and make it a multi-sensuous experience.

(source)
Of course, it makes sense that you would choose experiences that enhance each other rather than cancel each other out. No point in trying to listen to two songs at the same time, or talk to a friend while on the phone. That's not really what I had in mind.
So what kind of experiences really complement each other? Senses that often go together are smell and taste, and sight and sound. But there are many more possible combinations.
Have a go at the following few to see which ones suit you best:


1. Taste & touch: Imagine receiving a relaxing foot rub while indulging in a cup of your favorite flavored tea. Let the warmth of the tea and the warmth of your feet become one. Absolute bliss.

2. Smell & sight: I'm a sucker for smells. It can be a strength ("Is that Chanel you're wearing?") and a weakness ("Please consider deodorant before getting on a crammed bus.") But my favorite time to focus on smell is when I'm enjoying a great view out in the mountains or something. Watching that splendor and breathing in the earthy smell at the same time, makes me feel like I'm in the Garden of Eden.

3. Touch & Sound: My mind is often wandering aimlessly. Even when I'm trying to physcially relax, it can get in the way and make me drift off. But if I give both my mind and my body something enjoyable to focus on, all the pieces fall into place. Try combining the experiences explained in the posts corpse pose and musical minutes.
Of course you can make any combination of senses, and even add more to the experience. Many of our day-to-day experiences already combine several senses. Think of eating popcorn (taste & smell) at the movies (sound & sight). But there are some we don't often put together. So get creative and think about what you love and how to enhance the experience.
Have fun with it!

Feel free to share your ideas with the other readers here too. I'm sure they (you) would welcome them.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...