Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ask for Help

Picture by Dimitri Neyt
We've all grown up in a culture that promotes independence. From our childhood onward, we're steered toward becoming competent and self-governing individuals. This is really great! Once we've learned to take care of ourselves, we don't have to rely on anyone else. It's a reassuring and comforting though.
 There is, however, one downside. For most of us, this independence leads to a feeling of embarrassment when there's something we're not able to handle on our own. It's a little awkward to realize that you have to ask someone for help. It goes against our upbringing. Unfortunately, it's the most important things we have the hardest time asking help for.
I have no problem asking my husband to open a jar for me, no matter how un-feminist it makes me, but I have a really hard time asking a friend to help spread the news about this blog, for example. Even though the blog is much more important to me, than a jar of jam.
If there's something in your life that you're struggling with, be it how to raise your kids or how to improve your business, don't instantly turn to self-help books. Start by asking help from the people in your life. They know you. They know your situation. They care about you. 
The worst that can happen is that they tell you they can't or won't help you. That puts you right back where you started. You're no worse off than you were before.
The best that can happen is that they agree to help you and you benefit from an improvement of the situation, and a deepening of your relationship. Maybe you'll even be able to help your helper in return. 
Asking for help is something we should be teaching our children every day. It's a skill that's valuable all throughout life, and it's easy and free.

Is there something you could use help with? Anything I can do? I'm offering for free!

2 comments:

Angeliki said...

This post spoke to me!I do have trouble to ask for help and I'm still working on it. I like the idea that if you ask help and the other person denies it just means you're back in square 1, nothing worse can happen.

Unknown said...

Thanks for you input, Angeliki. I think we all sort of feel a sense of embarrassment when we ask for something and the answer is 'no', but that's totally unnecessary. Usually their are perfectly good reasons for why the other person can't help you out. But I found that if you ask someone sincerely, chances are they'll help you if they can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...