Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Use only ONE Bathroom Product

Did I pique your interest with yesterday's post? Are you curious to find out how I replaced my shampoo, body-wash, facial soap, 'special soap' and even my future baby's soap with only one product? Especially if I tell you this one product has been around for thousands of years and contains no harmful chemicals?
Well, I won't hold you in suspense any longer.

I use ... Aleppo soap. Aleppo soap is a soap based on olive and bay leaf oil. I use if to wash my face, hands, even my hair. I've heard you can also use it to brush your teeth with, but haven't tried that yet.

I suggest you try this soap first, before you throw out all of your chemical beauty products. Maybe you won't like it, and that's just fine. 
If you're wondering about where to buy a piece of this soap, in Belgium you can find it at Bioplanet, (the Danish Urtekram one is my favorite!), in the UK, you can order it from Life & Home of Wikaniko.com. For the US, I'm not so sure. Amazon has it, for sure: Syrian Soap 200g - Olive Oil Soap from Mesopotamia(1 bar) (Amazon link), but this may be a bit pricy. I also found the website Wunderley, which sells a selection as well. Just running a search on Ebay for Aleppo or olive oil soap will get you plenty of results.

I've saved a lot of money on care products in this way, and I love how I only have this one piece of soap in the shower, and don't need to rummage through a whole bunch of bottles and flasks like I used to. Sure, it took some time to get used to the feeling and the smell (smells kind of herb-like and like Marseille soap), but now I don't want anything else!
Has anyone in the states seen this in one of the bigger alternative markets? Or in a regular super market? Let me know!

Let me know if you're thinking about giving it a try. Or maybe you use a different type of natural soap that can be used for pretty much anything? I'm sure there are plenty of options, I just happened to stumble across this one first. Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Angeliki said...

That sounds like a very tempting idea but I love my bathroom products too much to abandon them. I'm a beauty junkie and I love all the differnt colourful bottles and smells in my bathroom and I like choosing which one I feel like using each day, it's part of my ritual. But I do get your point and I'll consider it :)

Unknown said...

Well, it's not for everyone, I can tell you that! My hubby won't give up on his favorite shampoo either :-) I love to play around with make-up from time to time, but it's very rare, so for me the sacrifice was quite small.

You've got to do what's right for you. So thanks for considering it anyways :-)

Ann said...

I was really interested to hear about this, as I haven't yet found one product that I like as a soap AND shampoo etc. I'll hunt down a bar!

I'm slowly making the move to all organic bathroom/health products, and I'm currently obsessed with Miessence (www.mionegroup.com)products. They are divine!

Unknown said...

Thanks for that link, Ann. The products seem great, though a bit pricey for my taste (and income level as a teacher in China ;) )

I've been trying to slowly become more organic and natural in what I eat and the products we use. One step at a time. So far, I've loved the changes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...