Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Visualize Your Day

Picture by Scarleth White
Have you had those days that seem to go by without being noticed? A kind of 'blah' day where you feel like you just wasted all the potential of the day because you didn't have any energy, or were bored, or just didn't get round to doing anything. This usually happens on your only day off, so you then feel like you've wasted your opportunity to have fun and relax. Or it's supposed to be a busy work day, but you're so wonderfully skilled at procrastination, that the time just passes by.

For me, this is a problem. I really don't like this kind of day, since it makes me feel like crap and doesn't contain any valuable activities. To avoid these days, I try a visualization exercise in the morning that only takes me 5 minutes, but can make the whole day work out well.
Since I've started doing a daily meditation after I wake up each day, I also use this time to visualize how I want my day to go.
I'll mentally take myself from my meditation, to my work-out, to breakfast, my writing/teaching, etc. 
You don't have to be too strict about this. No need to plan every single second. Just have an intention in your mind of how you want your day to plan out. 

It can help to write a small to-do list, or keep some notes to remind you close by, but it's not absolutely necessary. 
This exercise can really help you gain momentum to carry you through the rest of the day. It keeps you focused on what you want, steering your mind and body in the right direction. 

Make sure to focus on how you WANT your day to go, not how you think it SHOULD go. I know there are things I should do in a day (like teaching), so I visualize how I want that teaching to go. 
This doesn't necessarily work miracles, but it's made me happier and more productive. I hope it can do the same for you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...