Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wisdom Wishlist - Unconventional Gifts

Picture by Abby Blank

Today is my birthday! Yay! (You may congratulate me below.) But naturally, I have more to say than how happy I am to finally be 26 (not really) and how wonderful it is to celebrate away from my family and childhood friends (not at all). This year, I decided to go a little more unconventional when it came to my birthday wishlist.

Last year, I got a Kindle DX from my husband. A wonderful present which I use nearly every single day, both for work and to relax. This year, however, we'll be moving again soon, and I just don't need or want any more stuff. I'm done with it for a bit. I'll buy what I need (preferably second hand) and make the rest myself if I have to. I'm trying to move with as little as possible.

So, what do I want for my birthday? I'm asking people for advice. Things they have learned about life they could share with me.


Since your friends and family love you and care about you, they want the best for you. On birthdays and around the holiday season, this is a great cause of stress and anxiety. 'What should I get? What if they already have it? What if they don't like it? I can't afford the things I'd like to give most.'
Since you love your friends and family as much as they love you, you could save them the trouble this year and ask for a real gift from the heart. Ask them to share a piece of their wisdom. 

This could come in many forms: a letter, a quotation, a song, a poem, a movie/book suggestion, etc. They shouldn't buy a book or movie for you, since that means you'd insult them if you don't read/watch it, or if you don't take the advice. Make the givers understand that their gift should be no-strings-attached. The fact that you ask is because you believe they will give from the heart. It doesn't necessarily mean it will be as valuable to you as it is to them.
So, now that you know it's my birthday, and you know what I want, what kind of wisdom can you or would you want to share with me? I'd love to hear your stories!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Happy birthday Jo!

My advice: true happyness comes from accepting life, not trying to force it to go your way. There will always be bumps in the road and things that don't go the way you planned (believe me I know), but in the end, all of these experiences makes you who you are.

Happyness should be pursued, but not forced, because life is a slippery little fish, you can't really hold on to it, just try and coax it in a general direction ;)

I can't believe I just compared life to fishing. And I don't even like fishing...

take care

xxx

S

Angeliki said...

Happy Birthday!!! Have a great one :)

What a beautiful post!

Remember taking yourself serious enough to take care of yourself and live your life like you mean it.

Unknown said...

@Sam: thanks for the great advice! I love the fish analogy :-). It's very inspiring!

@Angeliki: thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

My hubby threw me a surprise birthday party last Sunday, and all my friends in Yantai wrote some advice in a little book they got. It was absolutely wonderful!
So thanks to you (you know who you are!) for making this a birthday to cherish and remember!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...