Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dance

I love to dance. It's such a joyous way of expressing myself. I do not love getting totally wasted or breathing in cigarette smoke, however. I also don't enjoy being harassed by drunken men or feeling self-conscious about the way I'm dancing.

I used to dance mostly at 'dancing-occasions', such as parties or girls' nights out. There I had all the benefits of good music and having my friends around, but also the disadvantage of the smoke and not being left alone.

Then I took some latin dance classes with a couple of friends, and the teacher told us to practice at home.
The classes have now stopped, but I still dance when I'm home alone!
Put on some great music, preferably music that you've danced to before. Maybe one of the songs from when you were a teenager and went out to party from time to time. Or put on a radio channel that has plenty of dance music. 
If you're a little rusty, start with tapping your foot and gradually work your way up 'till every part of your body is moving. 
Try goofing around a bit to let go of your self-awareness and just enjoy bending your body every way it'll go. Acting foolish is a wonderful way to improve your mood. 
Don't worry about someone walking in too much. Chances are that if they do, you will have given them a cheerfulness-boost too!
I love to put on some great music when I'm sweeping or mopping. I'm already up anyways, and it makes cleaning the house a whole lot more fun.
It's also the most fun exercise routine I've come across so far! Just let yourself go and you'll get a double boost of happiness hormones and exercise all at the same time!

What kind of songs do you suggest dancing too? I'm trying to make a 'dance at home' playlist!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...