Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hug for Health and Happiness

Picture by Kevin Rohr
 I love hugging and cuddling. It makes me feel loved, cherished, safe. I wasn't always a hugger. When we were kids, hugging was not very common in my house. We got plenty when we were younger, but growing up, we seemed to grow out of it. As a teenager, I remember giving my friends a peck on the cheek to great them, instead of a hug. I still do when I'm back at home.

After I got married, I was introduced into hug-happy America, and re-discovered my love of hugging. Now I hug my family whenever I can. I just love to wrap my arms around the people I care about.
When you hug someone, hold'm tight.
Hold'm close with all your might.
Wrap you arms closely 'round
Keep them always, safe 'n' sound
Embrace parent, lover, child and friend
With a love that will never end...

There are numerous health benefits to hugging. They mostly have to do with releasing the hormone oxytocin and decreasing the levels of cortison in your blood. Hugs seem to be especially beneficial for women, but men benefit as well.

You can read about the benefits of hugging here and here, and about how important it is to hug children here.

Can't get enough of hugging? Join the Free Hugs Campaign!
Interested in something more? Read the post on kissing slowly!

A virtual big 'ol bear hug to all of you for reading the blog! I welcome comment-hugs any time of day/night!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Free hugs: been there, done that, loved it. Especially the looks on people's faces when they realise you're just doing it to make everyone feel good. It goes from surprised => paranoid => amazed => want hug!

Good fun.

Angeliki said...

I'm a hug advocate! There are studies showing that couples who hug and touch each other often live longer.

Unknown said...

Great work Sam! I've seen people out there but never had the guts to go give them a hug.
Next time I run into a Free Hugger, I just have to go for it!

That's good news, Angeliki. Even more reason!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...