Saturday, June 4, 2011

Read 'The Science of Getting Rich'

There's a book that I read every single month. It's the book on which 'The Secret' was based, and it's called: The Science of Getting Rich. It's not my life's ambition to get rich, but it is my ambition to lead the life I want to live, and that's what the book helps me focus on. It offers great ideas on how to bring success into every area of your life.

I read it once a month, and every month I focus on a new part. I rediscover something I forgot, or I suddenly find myself interpreting the old words in a new way. The book is a bit dated, so the language is a bit old, but you adjust quickly.

So how is this a 5 minute activity? Well, the chapters are really really really short! It takes me about 5 minutes (or less) to read one chapter. Alright, admittedly, I'm somewhat of a fast reader, and by now I just have to skim to be reminded of the content, but still... I couldn't resist sharing this with you.

I've summarized the main lessons I learned from the book below (there's plenty more than these 5 though):
  1. You cannot get what you desire by thinking about the opposite. No one ever got rich thinking about poverty, no one ever became healthy by thinking about disease. So we should focus on what's good in our lives. (Positive thinking motto)
  2. Feel grateful. This brings you in alignment with the forces of the universe. Or, if you're not impressed by this occult stuff, it makes you happy to focus on the good things you have. It also makes you seem kind. That's always a boon!
  3. Make every act a success. If everything you do - no matter how small! - is a little success, you can't fail to lead a successful life. Everything you do is either a success or a failure. It's either efficient, or a waste of time. These little successful acts can lead to great wealth.
  4. Impress the thought of increase on every interaction. When you deal with people, try to make your actions beneficial to them. You're going for a win-win situation. People will be drawn to you, when they get this feeling of increase from you. Of course, don't let them take advantage of you, that's something else altogether.
  5. Prepare to receive what you want. It's not enough to wish for something in your life, your job is to make sure that you're ready to receive it when it comes along. There's no point wishing for a Mr. Right when you're still with a man you don't love, right? If your Prince Charming came along, you wouldn't be able to be with him anyways.
I've learned a lot from this book, and I hope you will too. You can download it for free (it's so old, there's no more copyright on it!) here.

Let me know what you think, or if you've read it before, or if you've read 'The Secret', or seen the movie, or heard about it and think it's rubbish...

2 comments:

Ann said...

Hello,
You reminded me that I've never read "The Secret", so I've requested it from my local library. There's actually a waiting list of six people, so it's obviously still a very popular book!
Thanks for the ref to Wallace Wattles - it will be interesting to read both!
Ann

Unknown said...

Actually, I've never finished reading "The Secret" either. I've read "The Science of Getting Rich" about ten times by now, and I've seen the movie at least 5 times.

Will be reading the book soon though :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...